Live In Holland...the Country
I have been living in holland for almost 4 years and amazingly I haven't even written something about my live for the past 4 years here. Gosh....I have missed one big thing, simply missed it. Now, I am about to make it up to me, for my own written memories.
About me...
I personally think that the last 4 years have been one of the most precious memories that I have ever had in my whole life. I had never thought that I could get the honour of experiencing these amazing pages of journeyof life. I do realize that I have been changed a lot in the last 4 years, some people might even refer me as a different girl that I used to be back in Indonesia. I keep insisting that I ain't a different person, I have changed though but i am becoming a better person (i hope).
August 2001 was actually the first time I stepped my feet in Europe, the Americans may call it the overpriced continent with the snobby people live in it, I can still remember how I felt my heart beat fast and I was filled with this somekinda sensation which was quite difficult to explain. I had been abroad before, but that was a completely different story cause I tagged along with my parents. But that time I knew it was gonna be something really different. I wouldnt be in Europe for a week trip or whatsoever. I was actually going to live temporarily here, and then...the story went...
About Holland
The first things that popped in my head about Holland were....tulips, beers, legal drugs and prostitution. I didn't know much bout European countries except from those few things that I had seen on movies or telly. I lived in a student hostel during my first year of study provided by the school. It was located in a nice quite neigbourhood and everything was like I imagined about Europe. It was....perfect. Green, clean air, I just loved it. Later on I found out that the weather could literally put the smile off of my face. Fall/autumn in Holland has never been my fave season and will never be.
Sepeda, bikes, fietsen..oh boy...yeah this is the cycling country we are talking about. I can ride a bike but compared to a 10 year old kid?I would probably be beaten within the first 5 minutes on the road. I used to think cycling was just for either hobby or sport, not an essential part of your life. But for these Dutchies, you bet, bikes are like their own feet.
My compliments for the public transportation system here in Holland. They can get into your nerves sometimes but they are quite good, I gotta to admit that. Its easy to reach places even though if you dont have a car. You say it, trains, metro, trams, busses. I simply got nothing to complain about it, especially if you come from Indonesia...
The trains was run by NS (Nederlandse Spoorwagen) and they drive you mad especially in winter. Delays, or sometimes they just dont ride when you need them the most. NS does this advertisement and I remember that they have this slogan saying "it's better to travel well than to arrive well". One of my roommies said that it was a phrase of Buddha's. But, if you desperately needed the train to be on time and they were like 15 minutes late, I would prolly say "IT IS better to arrive well than to travel well". Seriously, Buddha himself would probably be pissed if he had to deal with NS.
I havent been explored Holland but as far as I know, I dont think its the place if you are into beautiful landscape sights nor exotic beaches. Holland is a flat land and all you can see is just green fields passing by if you travel on a train to other cities. I have been to the beaches of Zandvoort and Scheveningen and they are not all that. You can't expect beautiful waves to surf nor tropical palm trees. There are only sands, calm sea, cafes alongside the beach, children playing with the dogs and yeah, half naked women and men who are dying to have their skins look like red-orange lobsters.
But if you are into arts and history, well, you might not be able to resist the museums and other historical buildings. Myself have been to Anne Frank Huis in Prinsengracht Amsterdam and definitely is one of fave museums I've ever been (I haven't been to many museums actually). While the others like Van Gogh's, Rijkmuseum, Frans Hals and others, lets just say, I don't understand anything bout paintings ( I dont have art sense in my genes). But I have been to Sex Museum hahahaha...pretty nasty but it only charges 2,50 eur for the entrance fee, so...why not?!
About me...
I personally think that the last 4 years have been one of the most precious memories that I have ever had in my whole life. I had never thought that I could get the honour of experiencing these amazing pages of journeyof life. I do realize that I have been changed a lot in the last 4 years, some people might even refer me as a different girl that I used to be back in Indonesia. I keep insisting that I ain't a different person, I have changed though but i am becoming a better person (i hope).
August 2001 was actually the first time I stepped my feet in Europe, the Americans may call it the overpriced continent with the snobby people live in it, I can still remember how I felt my heart beat fast and I was filled with this somekinda sensation which was quite difficult to explain. I had been abroad before, but that was a completely different story cause I tagged along with my parents. But that time I knew it was gonna be something really different. I wouldnt be in Europe for a week trip or whatsoever. I was actually going to live temporarily here, and then...the story went...
About Holland
The first things that popped in my head about Holland were....tulips, beers, legal drugs and prostitution. I didn't know much bout European countries except from those few things that I had seen on movies or telly. I lived in a student hostel during my first year of study provided by the school. It was located in a nice quite neigbourhood and everything was like I imagined about Europe. It was....perfect. Green, clean air, I just loved it. Later on I found out that the weather could literally put the smile off of my face. Fall/autumn in Holland has never been my fave season and will never be.
Sepeda, bikes, fietsen..oh boy...yeah this is the cycling country we are talking about. I can ride a bike but compared to a 10 year old kid?I would probably be beaten within the first 5 minutes on the road. I used to think cycling was just for either hobby or sport, not an essential part of your life. But for these Dutchies, you bet, bikes are like their own feet.
My compliments for the public transportation system here in Holland. They can get into your nerves sometimes but they are quite good, I gotta to admit that. Its easy to reach places even though if you dont have a car. You say it, trains, metro, trams, busses. I simply got nothing to complain about it, especially if you come from Indonesia...
The trains was run by NS (Nederlandse Spoorwagen) and they drive you mad especially in winter. Delays, or sometimes they just dont ride when you need them the most. NS does this advertisement and I remember that they have this slogan saying "it's better to travel well than to arrive well". One of my roommies said that it was a phrase of Buddha's. But, if you desperately needed the train to be on time and they were like 15 minutes late, I would prolly say "IT IS better to arrive well than to travel well". Seriously, Buddha himself would probably be pissed if he had to deal with NS.
I havent been explored Holland but as far as I know, I dont think its the place if you are into beautiful landscape sights nor exotic beaches. Holland is a flat land and all you can see is just green fields passing by if you travel on a train to other cities. I have been to the beaches of Zandvoort and Scheveningen and they are not all that. You can't expect beautiful waves to surf nor tropical palm trees. There are only sands, calm sea, cafes alongside the beach, children playing with the dogs and yeah, half naked women and men who are dying to have their skins look like red-orange lobsters.
But if you are into arts and history, well, you might not be able to resist the museums and other historical buildings. Myself have been to Anne Frank Huis in Prinsengracht Amsterdam and definitely is one of fave museums I've ever been (I haven't been to many museums actually). While the others like Van Gogh's, Rijkmuseum, Frans Hals and others, lets just say, I don't understand anything bout paintings ( I dont have art sense in my genes). But I have been to Sex Museum hahahaha...pretty nasty but it only charges 2,50 eur for the entrance fee, so...why not?!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home